1. Exercise – Let’s face it, no one really wants to get up at 6am to fit in a quick gym session before work. For some people sex is the only workout they want to make time for, and whilst it’s not quite on par with a full on cardio session, it does burn 5 calories per minute and makes use of several muscles depending on your positions. The more sex you have, the more calories you burn.
2. It’s good for you skin- Ever wonder why some people are physically glowing after sex? It’s not just the sweat; having sex improves the blood circulation which pumps oxygen to your face, making it brighter. Sex also increases growth hormones which help to tighten the skin and reduce acne.
3. Healthy for your relationship – Sex is the foundation for any healthy relationship. Well, that and trust. Physical intimacy can bring couples closer together. And whilst many people can easily have sex with people they don’t care about, your emotional connection becomes stronger when you are intimate. Studies have also shown that having an orgasm during sex will make your partner less likely to cheat.
4. Broadens your horizons – The more sex you have the more you learn, it’s not all about missionary. Be more open-minded, read the Karma Sutra, do it in public, have a ménage-à-trois. Educate yourself on how to please your partner and how they can please you, if there were more orgasms in the world, it’d be a much happier place.
5. Eases Period Pain – Forget ibuprofen and a hot water bottle, the best way you can ease menstrual cramps is to put that vagina to use. Dr Laura Berman, a leading sex and relationship therapist, states that “orgasms can ease [women’s] cramps and the orgasmic contractions of the uterus offer a soothing internal massage. Also, orgasms release endorphins, natural painkillers and mood enhancers, which can help soothe the cramps, headaches, mild depression, and irritability sometimes associated with periods.”
6. Lowers your blood pressure- Basically there’s so many health benefits to sex, you’d be mad not to. Joseph J. Pinzone, MD, CEO and medical director of Amai Wellness, states “One landmark study found that sexual intercourse specifically, lowered systolic blood pressure.” Sex has also been known to help maintain a healthy immune system, ease stress, reduce pain, and prevent heart disease.
7. Because you want to – You don’t need an excuse to be having more sex. Have as much sex as you like (provided it’s consensual). It doesn’t matter if you’re in a relationship or single, go have sex with men, women, multiple people at once. Do it laying down, standing up, doggy style, cowgirl, spit-roast, own your sexuality and be proud of it, Samantha Jones style.