22-year-old Miss South Africa, Rolene Strauss wins Miss World 2014. The beauty was crowned queen at the competition’s grand final at the Excel London ICC Auditorium on Sunday, Dec. 14. Miss Strauss is the first Miss World titleholder from South Africa in 40 years and the first to win the competition in more than 55 years. She was among 122 contestants who competed for the title this year and won. Contestants wore colorful costumes representing their countries and several also took part in a group performance of the hit ballad “You Raise Me Up,” made famous by Josh Groban. There was also a tribute to Indian actress Aishwarya Rai, Miss World 1994.
The remaining contestants on stage danced to LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem.” after she was crowned, “Miss World 2014. Put your hands up, ya’ll!” he shouted. “Put those hands up! Oh yeah! We love girls all around the world. All around the world, we love girls. I love ya’ll.”
The two runners-up were: 2. Hungary: Edina Kulcsár, a former finalist of the 2009 Miss Plastic Hungary beauty pageant.
3. United States: Elizabeth Safrit, who represented North Carolina at the 2014 Miss United States pageant, has a BA in political science from the University of Southern California and has been dancing since she was little. The other contestants who made it to the top 10 were:
4. Australia: Courtney Thorpe, a marketing student
5. England: Carina Tyrrell, a med student at the prestigious University of Cambridge.
6. Guyana: Rafieya Husain, a business administration student
7. Brazil: Julia Gama, a chemical engineering student
8. Kenya: Idah Nguma, a marketing executive
9. Mexico: Daniela Álvarez Reyes, Miss Mundo Mexico
10. India: Koyal Rana, NGO and director of the Moksha Foundation People’s Choice winner: Thailand: Nonthawan Nonthawan Thongleng, a singer, TV host and model