Christmas is coming up and we have not got long left. You are probably wondering, “Hmm, what shall I cook for Christmas this year for the family?” Well here is a perfect recipe that you can try at home so you and your family can indulge in and enjoy.
Roast duck with spicy Christmas rub and Marsala gravy
What You Need:
- 1 duck (roughly 1.6kg)
- sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 heaped teaspoons of five-spice
- 1 clementine
- 6 fresh bay leaves
- for the gravy
- 1 bulb of garlic , halved across the middle
- 2 carrots , trimmed and sliced
- 2 red onions , peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 100 ml Marsala
- 1 litre organic chicken stock
1)Remove any excess fat from the inside of the duck. Season the duck with salt, pepper and the five-spice, rubbing all over.
2) Place the duck in a medium-sized roasting tray, cook at 180°C/350°F/gas 4 for around 1 hour 20 minutes.
3) When the time’s up, remove the duck from the oven and drizzle your par-boiled veg with some of the fat from the tray then toss it. Scatter the garlic, carrots and onions into the tray.
4) Cook for a further 40 minutes, or until the duck is beautifully crisp and the meat falls easily away from the bone.
5)Remove the duck to the tray of roast veg while you finish your gravy. Add the flour to the broken-down veg, then mash everything together with a potato masher, scraping up all the sticky goodness from the bottom. Place over a medium-high heat.
6)Pour in the Marsala, stir well. Add the stock, then bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for around 15 minutes, or until thickened and reduced. Then serve with a jug of gravy, apple and cranberry sauce, crispy roast veg and all the trimmings.