Losing weight is not an easy feat, but with the right tools weight loss is possible. One of the quickest ways of losing weight may be Intermittent fasting. Coupled with exercise and a healthy diet this is a sure way to drop the unwanted pounds holding you down!
What is Intermittent fasting?
Intermittent fasting (IF) is when you have specific windows for eating and fasting that you do in a cycle. Unlike dieting, you don’t have to eat healthily. Instead, this method of weight loss is focused on the timing of when you eat. The most common fasting interval is the 16-8 hour fast. This type of fasting is not religious, it just controls the hours you choose to stop eating (or fast) in order to boost metabolism.
Methods of Intermittent fasting
There are many different methods of IF, as long as you fast for 16 hours or more, have a smaller eating window, and continuously stick to the schedule you should start seeing results. During the fasting window you must not eat, only drink water or tea/coffee without milk or sugar. People often exercise while Intermittent fasting to enhance weight loss.
The two most popular methods are:
- The 16-8 method: This method is when you fast for 16 hours and have an 8-hour eating window, for example you could fast from 1-5 and then have your eating window until it’s time to fast again.
- Eat-Stop-Eat: This method is when you fast for 24 hours once or twice a week.
The benefits of Intermittent fasting
The main benefit of Intermittent Fasting is rapid weight loss without the need of dieting or counting calories. However, there are many more benefits that have been shown through studies such as:
- Less bloating as you will be controlling your eating
- Stops inflammation in chronic diseases
- Reduces cholesterol (less of a chance to gain heart problems)
- Reduces insulin resistance
- Increases brain hormones (BDNF aids growth of nerve cells)
Need more weight loss tips? Check out these articles: